ANDVSA provides legal support statewide to advocates who are guiding victims of domestic violence, sexual assault and stalking through the civil and criminal justice system. We providing training, technical assistance and resources including:
- Provide technical assistance to domestic violence and sexual assault advocates on issues such as custody, safe visitation, divorce, child support, and protection orders;
- Publish and update the Alaska Women’s Legal Right’s Handbook, brochures on Full Faith and Credit, and Alaska and Federal gun laws;
- Publish and update a Legal Advocacy Training Curriculum, and an Essential Starter Kit and Resource binder for new advocates;
- Conduct outreach and site visits to domestic violence and sexual assault programs in rural parts of Alaska;
- Assist domestic violence and sexual assault programs develop model policies and protocols in dealing with issues such as protecting the confidentiality of victim communications, subpoenas, arrest warrants, and shelter records;
- Conduct regional and statewide trainings for legal advocates and Alaska attorneys;
- Provide webinar trainings for legal advocates throughout the year;
- Maintain a web site for legal advocates with helpful links to access resources.
ANDVSA’s Pro Bono Program provides case representation and information and referral to victims who need help with civil matters including (but not limited to) family law, housing law, and consumer issues. We work with trained legal advocates statewide who refer the cases to us. We utilize both staff attorneys and volunteer attorneys to handle our cases. To this end we:
- Develop a network of pro bono attorneys to assist victims of domestic violence and sexual assault;
- Provide training and mentoring to participating pro bono attorneys on family law and domestic violence issues;
- Continually update a forms bank and practice manual on family law issues and domestic violence.
- If you are a survivor of domestic violence, sexual assault, and/or stalking please click here to learn more about this program.
- The legal information and referral hotline is available for victims of domestic violence and sexual assault who want basic information about their legal rights and options and referral information from an attorney. Follow the link to see a full calendar and get more information.